Sunday, May 19, 2013
You can see on the picture above that I have dry brushed the tufts with yellow Ochre to dry them out and add to the dead grass look.
The rocks are now dry and give off that Devils Den look.
"Give'em the cold steel boys, give'em the cold steel!"
This looks good enough to go with as it is, but recently there has been a flurry or excellent basing products to the market that can really add a little extra something to a base. mainly grass tufts from MiniNatur and Silflor. Other companies have copied these products now and they can be found in a number of good hobby shops and Websites. After all these added extras there is no chance of seeing any figure bases anywhere!
The first layer being dry, It was time to add some light stones to the base. I wanted to leave lots of base colour on the stand, so I just applied the PVA glue in tiny patches around it. If I saw a metal figure base showing, I would cover it with this layer.
The flock and gravel colours are quite similar and blend well together. I don't like painting gravel so I looked for a nice natural colour that wouldn't need a layer of paint to make it look realistic.
Unlike the small patches of gravel, I will paint this larger slate pieces to detail them. I got the slate pieces from a guy off eBay.
I found with this sawdust like flock, the PVA glue would show and soak through the flock. A second dunk in the flock tub just made sure the base was well and truly covered in colour with a nice thickness to it. Any mistakes or patchy areas at this point can be covered over in later stages so do not worry about details. Sometimes the metal bases of figures can still be seen easily after the first layer, but do not worry.
The great thing about flocking bases is that it allows you to do whole armies in one go and quickly too.
In those days my only experience of historical gaming had been 15mm and so I based figures three to a base but in the same pose. Time for a mix up and a change.
Once the three figures were based on their new 45mm x 30mm base (from Warbases), I painted PVA glue on the base and dipped them in the first round of flock.