Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Painting 28mm Zulus

 I was lucky enough to find some Burnt Umber spray paint in WH smiths the other day and I grabbed it thinking it would save a lot of painting time. Turns out it was the best buy I ever made!
 I was a little worried at first because it looked very wet and flooded the details of the Perry plastic Zulus, however as it dried the detail came through and the colour was perfect. I had started to hand paint the plastics with Burnt Umber from P3 paints, but this spray can cut all of that lengthy process out.

 Above you can see the two different paints next to each other, hardy any difference between the paint pot and the spray can.
 To keep things really quick I used a big brush and brushed on FOUNDRY's African flesh 'B' and then 'C'. After this I washed the figure with black ink and finally highlighted again with Vajello Mahogany. As these figures are all flesh and very easy to dry brush I thought I would treat them to quite a few paint tones in their skin.

 A wash of black ink ties all the skin tones together. Again a big brush saves a lot of time.


These two paints were perfect for the Zulu clothing. The red leather colour is great for the leather around the bum area and the earth brown is excellent for the monkey tails around the loins. Once dry 'splodge' the brown with a lighter colour to add a little detail.

1 comment:

tim said...

Looking good so far!