Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Full Thrust Fleet

Many years ago I down loaded the Full Thrust rules after watching Robin Fitton of Gruntz 15mm fame paint some ships on YouTube.
 Well, three years has pasted and I've dug them out again to have a read. I like these rules quite a bit as I have a huge interest in giant space fleet battles that goes back to my childhood. These models are from Zandris IV miniatures. I first looked at these years ago but last week I made the jump to light speed and bought a few.

The larger one is a resin model and is some sort of attack carrier, the other two are a Assualt crusier and a Beam cruiser.
 Z4 do a bigger resin piece which is a Dreadnought and this is on my wish list. Being a Dreadnought though, it is super tough in the Full Thrust rules and will take a lot of damage before it goes down. I think most FT fleets are made up of around 8-12 models so you have to be quite choosy when selecting models to buy, I still like the idea having a fleet of smaller frigates and destroyers based around a couple of larger cruisers and battleships. So maybe a massive Dreadnought would be too much...Still the painter in me will probably overrule that and buy it anyway.

Colour wise, these ships are painted with Foundry's Confederate grey with a darker grey for the armour. I weathered the ships by painting on tiny panels and chipped them with a sponge. Very enjoyable to paint and very quick too. Painting a fleet of these small ships will only take a few nights work, great stuff!

2 comments:

Phil Curran said...

Robin Fittons Gruntz rules looked very good and his tutorials were top notch. I gave up on 15mm, there is no way I can paint that small anymore.

Ragsta said...

Nice choice in ships, I’ve always liked them. Hear you re. choosing the right ships - I have only so much space for display and t’would be a shame for them to go out of sight. Played several fun games of Full Thrust, please do go for it :)