Thursday, September 17, 2020

The Irish Brigade 28mm



Well, they are done and based today and it was nice to try out the new skirmisher bases. Bonny Blue Flag normally has three skirmishers per regiment, based on single bases. However, this is not great for storage so I thought I would try them on 40mm bases in pairs. It’s the old comrade in arms technique with one guy loading while the other fires. I tried to get this look with the bases. Also I like the fact that I have another figure per unit.

The skirmishers can cover the regiment as it gets to work knocking down the rail fence.
In Bonnie Blue Flag skirmishers sit behind the main formation until deployed, then they are placed out front to form a screen. I chose round bases so they can be angled 360 degrees. This will look good when covering the flanks of regiments.


I was so taken with the Sash and Sabre miniatures that I ordered a unit of skirmishers from them too. This will give me a unit of 40 figures to split up into very nice looking mini dioramas. The figures used in this regiment are mainly Redoubt Enterprises sack coat skirmishing, with Steve Barber Irish heads.

 

5 comments:

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Excellent Work

Secundus said...

Thanks Geordie.

Lasgunpacker said...

Excellent painting, and they look good together.

Interestingly, the US flag carried seems to have 36 stars, which lead me down a deep Wikipedia rabbit hole...

ljr70 said...

Very much like what you did there. Well done.

caveadsum1471 said...

Lovely looking fighting Irish !
Best Iain