Saturday, February 11, 2023

Operation Rebel Yell

Having purchased some painted Rebs off eBay, I thought it might be time to finally start the mammoth task of rebasing my Rebs. All these new guys need a bit of tweaking too as some of the details are the wrong colour. Having based with five to a base would be impossible to paint, but what if they were in threes? They're all going to be rebased in threes anyway but can I repaint them like this, that was the question.
The new figures had been based using plaster and was a tricky job to free them.The only casualty was a standard bearer with a weak connection to his base.

Then I thought, why not mix in the old bases as well. Variety is always good with Civil war stands and these old figures need repainting and basing as well, why not use this as a spring board to do the whole lot.

While I was here wading through old figures, I thought I'd try something I've wanted to do for ages. Using some spare plastic Perry hats I made some easy conversions.




Not wanting to go too crazy, I thought I would base up a small Brigades worth. If the spacing is too tight to repaint each figure, then it's better to find out now rather than rebase the whole army.

Once they are recoloured in a more historical scheme they will be given a coat of army painter to shade them.

My old collection painted in the late 90's was based as it came from the packet as I didn't know any better. This meant regiments of figures all in the same pose. When the internet came along and  pictures of Fire and Fury started appearing, I knew then my own collection needed a revamp.

 The same pose bases are broken up and mixed with different manufacturers to create a mob of men. The big question today is, can I repaint them like this, or do I need to do them singly like normal.

These are my first painted historical figures and came straight out of a uniform book. Many years later my knowledge of the uniforms is much better and so I'm looking forward to updating these guys.

3 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

You have certainly given yourself a big old project…
I have a couple of rebasing projects that I keep putting off… I’m waiting for a day or two when I have nothing else to do 🙄😂

All the best. Aly

rhingley said...

Last year I picked up about 300 Civil War 28mm figures. This is a project I have put aside for next summer when I can work in my new yard. A lot of rebasing and repainting is required. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Secundus said...

Yeah, painting them in threes isn't that bad and let's you crank through quite a few at a time.