Monday, April 01, 2024

Raising the Standards again

I'm doing something that makes my OCD buzz with alarm, but it does look better. A while ago I downloaded a couple of pages of war of the roses banners from the internet.

I've sat on them for many years but now is the time to crack them out. It was certainly a very colour period with banners and standards adoring every unit. This in mind, I have decided to use some of these flags to fill the units with a bit more colour.

The OCD bit comes in when you realise these have been chosen quite randomly from the page. There are a few classic ones that will need to be well placed, but as long as they are for the right faction, they are good enough. The purists might loose a rivet, but I think the units look better for the extra detail. I have made the banner hang quite loose so the designs are hard to make out.
Earls, lords and knights all had their own devices fluttering above them so a few extra flags on the bases just kind of looks more in keeping I think.


At the end of the day there's so many different designs and heraldry that no one will really notice anyway. As long as the main standard clearly marks the unit, the little secondary personal banners shouldn't really matter.

 

No comments: