For my German infantry I went with Artizan Miniature's late German range and I was not dissappionted. After what seemed an age of debating and reserching I finally decided to base my figures on 1p pieces. The pennies give a nice weight to the figures and for the price of one round plastic base, I can base twenty seven on pennies. Also, because I will be spending longer on each figure, I stuck them with Blue-tac to old paint pots to make it easier to handle them and get to the detail, I saw this trick on the Inter-net a while ago and thought It would come in handy.
With the Skirmish rules being 1:1 ( one figure = one man) I thought I would make every figure a personalty and try to give him as much character as I could. This was started by trying to hide as best I could the penny bases with Milliput. I first pressed Milliput around the figures feet and then with an old dentist tool, sculpted bricks and bits of rubble into It. To add some finer detail, I painted on blobs of PVA glue and then dipped the figures into fine sand and gravel.
So here they are, the beginning of my first German section (nine men). They are wearing the Marsh camouflage smock jackets of the late war.