Thursday, June 20, 2013

Re-enacting the Napoleonic Period

 Here is my list of things to get and rough notes on my new kit. If you haven't guessed already I plan to join a Prussian Landwehr regiment. Once you start re-enacting and meeting new friends, things can quickly get out of control...in a good way.
The picture was just a poor excuse for me to draw and colour up a Militia man with all his kit.

There is also talk of doubling up as French infantry in some re-enactments, to help the poor, heavily out numbered French re-enactors. This should be quite easy with just a few tweaks to our equipment. Apparently our drill is very similar in style to that of the French. Secretly I'm looking forward to playing as French infantry, I have always had a soft spot for shakos. Also, I have studied and painted so many of them in 28mm, I should be able to take what I have learned and put it into a new hobby.

Watch this space...

12 comments:

BigRedBat said...

Looks fun!

Did you ever finish and use your Naps? I was admiring the muddy basing technique only this morning. I'm going to nick that idea. :-)

Cheers, Simon

Grenzer John said...

As a War of 1812 reenactor here in Canada, I'm very interested in your exploits. Call on me if I can be of any help.

Secundus said...

Hi Simon, the muddy base is a great and QUICK way to base Napoleonics. If you are doing Waterloo, then it's a must. You have to force yourself to muddy up those figures you've just spent days painting. It's not so hard once you see the results.

BigRedBat said...

...in fact I have already nicked it on some of my Naps.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VBRAhS1RrgY/T5Bx0838mvI/AAAAAAAAD-k/SXnT0dmmHbY/s1600/DSCN2091.JPG

I rather wish I'd made the bases darker and wetter, like yours, though.

Secundus said...

Very Nice! I see you have a few cannon balls in there as
well, excellent!

@Grenzer, thank you for your kind offer. It's a very exciting project and one I will post about on this blog too.

Phil said...

Very nice and funy!

Ian said...

Two re-enactment society's? You will be pulled in two directions come every bank holiday

Ian

Secundus said...

Ha HA, No we will make sure they don't cross and If they do i think the civil war comes first.

Scott B. Lesch said...

Why a "dummy" gun? Do you mean a reproduction?

Ken said...

I like the the three French in greatcoats! Just like Sharpe but in reverse!

Rhandolph said...

Scott, a dummy gun is indeed a reproduction but specifically one that does not actually fire, most people start with one until they get a black powder licence.

Rhandolph said...

I am a French reenactor (45eme) but nearly joined a Prussian landwehr group, it is tempting to start another endevour but it would be the time more than the money, if Im off work and its a Napoleonic event my unit are probably already going.