Thursday, August 07, 2014

This week I have been mostly thinking about the iron Brigade...

As the months roll by my mind has started to think about all things Civil war again. I have been painting up rail fences and planning new regiments for an paint up grade. The famous Iron Brigade is one.

 I have always loved this Brigade with their frock coats, black hats and white gaiters. Still have a few Orcs to finish off before I can allow myself to start anything new.

I do love painting ACW though , It has the best of both worlds as far as painting is concerned. On one hand you have the simple two coloured Union troops with their dark blue sack coats and sky blue trousers. The shear numbers that can be painted in one go is a joy to me. I still get a thrill of owning big armies even though I hardly ever use them, must be the child in me.
 Then on the other hand you have the multicoloured Rebs with their greys and browns, everyone's a different character in his own right. Pure joy!

I've just worked out after painting the ACW for many years that sack coats belong mainly to Union troops and frock and shell jackets to Confederate. I will try to paint up units in the future that incorporate this rule of thumb.  I know there were many exceptions to the rule but this is an idea I will try and stick too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The Iron Brigade truly was one of the most iconic units. I noted that in my sketchbook blog. By the way I love your cartoons, I invite you to check out my blog, I also have a lot of history.

Secundus said...

Hi Robert, I like your drawings I have been playing around with pencil colouring myself lately, It's a nice subtle look. I also enjoyed the what If Star Wars post.