Thursday, September 15, 2016

Basing ECW for Skirmish rules (Pikeman's Lament)


 I've been giving this subject a lot of thought recently and the fantastic Blog 'Dalauppror' has given me some great ideas.
 Michael Leck has come up with a really good way to represent skirmish troops in a way that looks really good and is very practical. This simple method of using different size bases to subtract causalities is a really good idea. It also will allow some great formations and come in handy when troops have to occupy buildings or small spaces. I like it a lot. The real draw for me is that cavalry based in this way look really good and a lot more realistic. The odd guy out of formation looks a lot more true to life.
It has given me a fresh boost to paint up some more ECW, which has to be a good thing.

The only thing I'm going to tweak to Michael's idea is to make the '3' fig base 35mm for the Pike block, so they are more packed together.

The Musketeer's will have the usual 40mm, so they have a little more room to load etc. I just like the dense formations of the Pike block to look close and crushed together.

Above are the bases laid out for a Pike block, using a big base of 35mm rather than 40mm. All bases are from WarBases.

2 comments:

Evan Hughes said...

That's an innovative basing scheme, but Michael's shown that it works! Looking forward to seeing how these chaps paint up.

quindia said...

These are great... I used the same setup for my Dark Ages project!