Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Great News! A very timely release by my favourite war games author.

I love the 'Bonnie blue flag' rules and these are designed with the same mechanic. I have just bought some Perrys plastic Madhists to tinker with and then I find this has just been released!

 A project for another day but one I will look forward too.

Some Sudan reference I have been saving on my phone, time to put it on here for another day...






Can anyone identify this regiment in the Sudan? I have tried to find it but haven't been able to turn up a name. This image was taken from Pinterest with no covering info available. In my research I can see that most early regiments to the area wore grey serge but they didn't sport the legging. Maybe this is meant to be a variation of that dress in campaign?

I have the Perry plastic Afghanistan/Sudan box set, but can't find a Sudan unit that these figures actually fit. As I said most units wore trousers in the early years or had some other uniform variation. Maybe the Sudan idea was an after thought for the use of the figures with the North West Frontier being their primary purpose.

 Anyway drop a comment down below If you can help out with this regiment, It fits the style of the Perry plastics but I would love to know who they were.

8 comments:

commissarmoody said...

New project then?

Secundus said...

Well, not quite for now but soon maybe. Are Madhists as easy to paint as Zulus ??? no but not far off. Plus they do have lots of standards that look great. Put it this way I am re basing my single based British NWF troops right now...

TWD said...

According to this page https://www.perry-miniatures.com/pages.php?page=sudan-uniform-guide
Yorks and Lancs, Royal Irish and East Surrey arrived in Sudan wearing the Indian pattern uniform - which is the one depicted in the Perry Plastic set with puttees etc.
The blue/grey+puttees in your pictures could be the naval uniform - illustration 24 on the page listed above?

commissarmoody said...

Right? Not to much harder. You just take the detail you put on the diffrent Zule regument shields and transfer it to the Mahdists outfits.

Phil Curran said...

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.com/2015/04/sudan-painting-your-horde.html

Secundus said...

Thanks Phil, I found this blog on my phone a few days ago but had trouble relocating it again. Now I have a direct link when ever I need. Many thanks.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Queens Royal Surrey's possibly..

http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/timeline/khaki/khaki.shtml

Secundus said...

Thanks Steve, well the same image is there on the site, I couldn't find it again once I had saved it. Thanks.