Monday, April 27, 2020

Researching Bonnie Blue Flag rules

A while back I bought a copy of ‘Bonnie Blue Flag’ from Cavalier books and I have to say I really liked what I saw. The rules seem to give me everything I was looking for in a ACW rule set, I decided then even though I must have 15 plus ACW rule sets, this was going to be the one for me. I became a Kevin Calder fanboy over night and quickly snapped up his other Sudan rule set too. I constantly patrol Cavalier books looking out for any other variants of the rule set that may of been released. Although, the rules are so adaptable that you could use them for a multitude of other eras.

The only down side though is that because they are a small rule set by Cavalier Books there doesn’t seem to be much support for them. This lead me to do my own research to clean details, however small, from the internet to help outline some of the rules in the book. A big break through came when I found Kevins blog ‘The Iron Brigade’. This was full of nice pictures of his games which gave loads of extra details into the system. I have created this post on here so I can dump any relevant information to save me trolling around in the future. Other like minded souls had made the same connection and had gone to the Facebook site to ask questions, these were not answered though. So here I have gathered images from various games Kevin has done and each one is a wealth of extra information and details for the rule set.



A Crazed stalker raids the internet for more information.
 It’s interesting to see here the use of skirmishers. They are kept on the table and placed around the parent unit at all times, unless destroyed. This wasn’t made very clear in the rule book, I thought you just took them off once they rejoined their regiment.

 It’s also good to see the mini dice in play. I think pictures like this would of been a better choice rather than the stock Cavalier book ACW illustrations in the rule book. It would of really helped define things. Also, Cavalier Books released another set of ACW rules and included the same illustrations... a bit poor I thought.
 This is interesting, dismounted cavalry on 40mm round bases. This shows their looser structure on the field. This is a nice touch and gave me some good ideas about basing units of sharpshooters. Everybody knows the green clad Berdan’s sharpshooters, but by basing up a Confederate unit of marksman in this way would really help define them from the other units.

 A photo taken from a Napoleonic battle hosted by Kevin, it again shows that with a few minor weapon range tweaks, these rules can be used for most horse and musket periods. I also noticed in one of these games that skirmishers could be based two to a base rather than singly. This is quite helpful to me as single figures are quite hard to store and keep safe. Two figures on a 40mm base are a lot more stable and also give the chance of a diorama.
Also interesting that this small unit of sharpshooters only has one skirmisher rather than three to reflect its small size. I will tag this post and keep adding to it, if and when I find out anything new. These rules are great and well worth a look.

Below is a great picture showing the game in process. Note that some skirmishers have been based as units of ‘comrades in arms’, multiple figures in groups of skirmishers, loading and firing to maintain a constant fire. This is an idea I will play with for sure.

6 comments:

Momjuicer said...

Hey Secundus sorry if this comment is not relating to your most recent post I just want to say thank you for getting me inspired to start my Orc army project. I'm a little nervous on getting started. can you give me some basic color ideas? I'm going for true Tolkien orcs. I've read your blog on lord of the rings completely but I didn't see any specific color that you use for your basic orc mini, I prefer using Vallejo but I was curious. any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Secundus said...

Hello there, the rule of thumb I use is light browns for smaller orcs, the larger they get the darker skin tone I paint them. A blue/grey colour washed with black looks good for Black Uruk. I tend to give the entire figure a wash with black ink to darken them down. Brown washes of various shades as well on their equipment too to make them look grungey.
My method is too rush through them as you need a lot of them so I don’t get bogged down. One base colour to fill in the details, then a series of washes to shade it. I try not to get caught up on details like eyes etc but do paint in teeth.

Secundus said...

Actually come to think of it, I use one colour to block out the clothes and cloaks etc, but use a couple of colours to highlight the skin tones before I wash them with shades.

Secundus said...

The German WWII paints make good skin colours for Orcs. The grey ones are better than the earlier green ones but they are all good.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your kind comments about the rules. I really should be doing more to promote and support them with a magazine article or two and by possibly starting a blog. The facebook page was set up and is run by my gaming partner in crime Peter, if I have missed any rules queries I appologise for not replying.
There are wargames Illustrated flip through reviews for both rule sets on you tube as well as a Wargames Illustrated video of the other Partizan 2019 also on you tube in which our Sudan game features along with a brief chat with myself about the rules if anyone is interested.
regards Kevin
ps love the cartoon.

secundus said...

Hello Kevin, thank you for commenting, it's a real honour! I love these rules and will be promoting them all I can on this blog. I even have a couple of sets myself...one for best. I have seen the videos and I watch the Bonnie Blue Flag one at least once a week! This article wasn't meant to criticise the rules as they are the best I have found on the topic. A real nice set with a great historic flavour to boot. They have got me painting Union troops like a mad man, they have even got me thinking about my Napoleonic armies for the first time in over ten years. I will keep an eye out for you at the shows and come and say hello if I see you.
Many thanks again, Simon.

P.s I will keep an eye out for the Napoleonic set in the future. ;)