Thursday, June 30, 2022

A Pikeman's Lament.

Equipping a militia regiment, I thought it might be nice to play around with their weaponry. I tried my hand at some rural looking pole arms to sprinkle in amongst the pike.

These were made in the same way as the pike, just the brush bristle being flattened further down the shaft. The long blades were then given an edge with a craft knife to finish the effect.

The unit probably lost a lot of its pikes to passing field armies. These farm implements will have to do for now.

Tassel update, these were bent into shape with pliers and then painted. I will do all my tassels like this from now on I think. It's another ECW hack, just like the plastic brush bristle pikes.

This is a pole arm being created by flattening down more of the bristle and then shaping with a pair of scissors.

 Once painted yellow, I gave them a wash with yellow contrast paint for some shading. I love the way the ends splay out. Very happy with this new idea.

2 comments:

Ben Cato said...

Very clever and looks great. The tassels look perfect.

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Outstanding scratch building.