Sunday, May 17, 2020

Brush Bristle Pikes

 I made another batch of pikes today from plastic brush bristles. I am a complete convert to this method after seeing it done on You Tube. It took me a while to find a good brush with the right diameter bristles, but a trip to a hardware mega store turned up trumps.

What I love about the look of the plastic pikes is the spear heads.These are the the ends of the bristles flattened with pliers, then cut to shape with scissors. You can even take the pliers a flatten a small length under the spear head too, this looks good as the brackets that run down the shaft of the pike. Another nice touch is the slight curve you get sometimes on the plastic bristles, this looks very realistic and mimics the way a long pike will sometimes look. Easy to make and the results are better than metal I think.
The length of the pikes I cut to 80mm, this was done by copying the metal shop bought ones.

The plastic also glues very well to metal so is super tough. Also, It might just save an eye or two when you drop your dice.

2 comments:

trev said...

I have started using brush bristles for spears and pikes recently too. It's been a 'that might work' idea for a good decade since I used smaller bristles for radio aerials. They look good, stick well and and involve a lot fewer stabbing injuries. All good really.

Stuart Barefield said...

Hi there, what brush did you buy? I’ve been looking and so far all bristles are too thin? Really enjoying your blog.