Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Foliage of the Future

Shopping today in TK Max, I stumbled across a shelf of reduced tat. On this shelf was a gathering of potted plastic Alpine plants. At first I walked past them but then my Wargamers head kicked in and I scurried back. As I looked at them I realised they would make great futuristic desert plants for my planned Eastern games.



You got to love hot glue guns! Once this plastic glue is dry, the pieces are as tough as nails and can withstand a lot of punishment. Having soft, bendy trees helps and I will be quite happy to throw these lot into a box and not worry about damage.

I love making these sort of bases, they are so quick and rewarding. This is my third range of bases taken from plastic plants and probably the most realistic looking.

Colonial Marines scout out the new mysterious landscape, where IS Hicks with the motion tracker? 


£2 for a pot, not bad I thought. It was a nice touch that both pots were slightly different in design, this helped give the bases a bit of variety.

I even got to use the empty branches for more detail. Some of these cut up trunks where scattered around the base to give the bases a sense of age.

Above are the three types of futuristic trees I have created for different worlds. 

 I also used some of my old dry roots from a long dead bonsai tree. It must have died twenty five years ago, but I always knew it would come in handy. 

I might give these new bases a watered down ink wash to help with the detail. These dry looking trees should go well with my future desert houses. 

9 comments:

slovak said...

Fantastic. I could see the now-empty pots also coming in handy on a terrain board-- alien generator buildings? Ancient ruins? They have a cool texture.

caveadsum1471 said...

Great looking repurposed TK max find! The pots do look they have useful texture but I guess if they're ceramic they're liable to destroy anything else in the storage box!
Best Iain

Secundus said...

Yeah I’m afraid the pits aren’t really useable, nice thought though.

Secundus said...

They very heavy and are full of glued in gravel.

Codsticker said...

Great purchase! They are perfect desert plants both in look and scale.

airbornegrove26 said...

Those look really good, glad they are stout as well!

rross said...

Great buy and nice repurposing - the scenic bases look great!

BigRedBat said...

Super vegetation!

Secundus said...

Thanks guys, it a treasure trove that TK Max!