Sunday, November 29, 2020

Painting the 7th Cavalry







I’ve pushed on tonight in to the small hours to get some paint on these little chaps. They have been sculpted with Hollywood webbing braces, I’ve tried to ignore them. However, with the ink wash they are very noticeable, I may have to paint them in. Also they have Hollywood neckerchiefs, I did try very hard but in the end I caved in and painted two yellow.
Apart from the 60’s film characteristics, I found them really fun to paint. It was great looking through books and copying characters. The white shirt, blue waistcoat combo was a particular favourite. 

After all the colours had been blocked in a wash of brown ink was added. This will do as the minis are so small I don’t think it is worth going too crazy with detail.


Most of the troopers I painted in the grey shirt as you can see their braces.
They make for quite a rag tag bunch, very 7th Cavalry.

 

4 comments:

rross said...

They look good - I would have just gone with the Hollywood version and painted in the yellow neckerchiefs et al!

Secundus said...

I know, I ended up painting in the braces too, they did look better for it. Even the couple of yellow neckerchiefs look better than the other colours. I may have to do more in the next batch.

Simon said...

The Neckerchiefs in this period would most likely be private purchases by the troopers. So they could be any colour, most likely with a pattern.
I would have gone full Hollywood as that is what they seem to be sculpted as.

Phil said...

Great job on the 7th!