Saturday, January 20, 2024

Creating a Congo carnivorous plant

When my friend told me he was getting into some pulp style jungle games,  my imagination got put into overdrive.
I had the idea to make some classic jungle man eating plants. 

I started off cutting up some cereal boxes to creat large leaves.


My old favourite, plastic brush bristles were twisted to create vines. Hot glue was then used to attach flat ends to the bristles. I also coated the bristles with the glue to make them look more organic.
I also covered the cardboard leaves with hot glue, this gave them a very leaf like appearance.


An unwary soldier gets snatched up.
Looking up some vicious looking carnivorous plants I chose some classic colours and patterns.








One of the last touches was to mix some PVA with flock and paint it onto the inside of the plant. This gave it a more fibrous and organic look.



Little shop of horrors...


Alien life forms take hold.
I also painted on a gloss varnish to the vines and outside leaves to give them a waxy look.

 

2 comments:

Neil said...

Now that is cool!
Neil

JPChapleau said...

I just happened on this post...and it is the spark I needed to make my own. Thanks

Great stuff. Big Thanks