Monday, January 01, 2024

Gothbot in No Man's Land.

Right, let's have another go at this chopping fluid malarkey. I sprayed and treated this big model at the same time I did the four Heavies in armour. Having watched a bit more YouTube on the subject I was ready.
Well, it worked a lot better and the red brown undercoat came through. Wetting the blue paint with a brush activated the chipping solution underneath and it came off easily.

I had watched another chap talking about painting on chips with a brush. First by painting a lighter shade, then dotting in a dark grey or brown to create a nice effect. This I thought sounded like more of a plan, so I went over the model and added painted chips and scraps.

I forgot to try the sponge chipping method...I will try that on the helmets of the infantry.
This terror of No man's land has certainly seen some action...poor old thing.
Going back to the snow covered bases from yesterday, I had the idea of using some snow pastels on them. Applied with a brush, the fine powder just added a little something to the models. It was great to dust over the steel helmets and bottom of the greatcoats to finish the frosty look.
I think it works well, as I didn't want any more snow clumps on the models, but the white frosting is perfect to convey the freezing weather.
These chaps certainly look colder with their new covering. I didn't want to go crazy with it, just a few touches here and there.

The nice thing about using these powdered weathering products is, if you don't like it you can wet a brush and wash it away. I really think they help with the cold look and will really come into their own on the vehicles and walkers.


Heavy support for the platoon. After I was happy with the chipping, I gave the robot a wash with thinned black oils. This will pick out all the rivets etc and give him a grungey look. The problem is that's where I had to stop, as the oils need time to dry.

No comments: