Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Games day

 My re-enactment group organised a wargames day this weekend. I was like a boy in a candy shop, It was great for me to see other peoples work and look at new figures and try new games. These pictures are taken from a game of Muskets and Tomahawks. I really enjoyed the game partly because it gave me a chance to use all of the ACW scenery I made last year. The rail fences and corn fields really helped to top off the look of the game.
 Another great thing about the day was seeing these gaming mats, I had read a lot about them but It was good to actually see them close up, very effective I thought. They really help to work out soft cover and hills can be added by putting objects underneath the cloth. As soon as I get a little more money in the bank I will be tempted to get one. The one below is from a ACW scenario by Cigar Box Miniatures.
 A lovely era to wargame with loads of great scenery to use in setting the atmosphere. If I didn't have a to do list as long as my arm I might be tempted to collect some units. Must stay strong now and look away.
Another game I got to play was regimental Fire and Fury, I have been itching to play this game for two years now so arranged a game. It played differently from how I had imagined and we used 10mm figures. These seemed tiny to my big 28mm eyes but i could see the attraction , the units actually looked like real regiments with the dense formation of numbers. I have to admit I released quite early on that i had maybe chosen the wrong scale to game it in when I started to look at the immense army lists.

1 comment:

tradgardmastare said...

I'm never sure about mats but the one in your picture works so well with 3D terrain too.