Sunday, January 03, 2021

Galloping Major Militia

It’s not very often that the reason you get into a certain period in warfare is because of a figure range. This however did happen to me a few years ago at a wargames event. I got to play Muskets and Tomahawks and was introduced to the figures of Galloping Major. At first I was surprised to see how big they were, with quite large details, however they screamed character and charm. A few weeks after the event I bought these Militia and about two years ago I bought another pack of settlers. It’s taken this long to finally make a stab at them, I was a little wary of not doing them justice and this put the brakes on getting started. Yesterday I just thought ‘blow it’ and I jumped in with both feet. I felt somewhat guilty that I was thinking about using Army Painter Dip on them, but they are going to be mounted on single bases for skirmish play so need to be well protected.

The large details like belts and buttons are a dream to paint and I have to say I have really enjoyed this little band of brothers. Painting the chickens tops everything though mind you, but these guys come in a close second.
Lucas hides in the hen house...
I decided to paint them quite quickly as there will be quite a few units and I don’t want to dry myself up on a lengthy painting process. They were blocked in with simple colours and I allowed myself a single highlight colour to save on time. I ended up doing three flesh tones just to bring some more life to the figures. I used a dark wash on the gun and certain areas like buckles etc, then used Soft tone Dip to coat and protect everything. This Soft tone is of course quite subtle in its stain and don’t really impact the colours too much, but does give a great protective layer to make the figures bulletproof.
Mc Do from Frazier’s Ridge.
I dug out my pile of reference books and looked at AWI militia for good clothes colours, close enough I thought. The thing to watch out for is the equipment is buff rather than black in this slightly earlier conflict.

I finally managed to buy a copy of Muskets and Tomahawks first version on eBay yesterday, so I’m excited to see that. I have tried for many years to get one, but they go like hot cakes and for quite a lot of money and players hang on to them once bought.

 I found a very tatty, beat up version which has seen a lot of use by the looks of things, but it did have a full set of cards with it that have been laminated, every cloud and all that. As the second edition is now out the older rule sets have started to be let go.

 I have played the first set before so I thought I would get it and start there. There are many YouTube films about playing the game which are very helpful.

From a distance the rabble look okay, the stubble was added by painting an army beige on the chin. It’s an old trick I did many years ago when painting my Napoleonic infantry. I think it’s worth doing as it’s quick to do and adds a lot of character that really gives a feel for the period.
An officer before the Dip. I chose quite a bright coloured coat for him to make him stand out. All the other militia are very earthy in their tones so this chap should leap out.
 

3 comments:

Neil said...

They really look great. How do they compare in size to North Star and Warlord? Thanks.
Neil

Secundus said...

They are quite large figures and very chunky. They kind of have a style of their own. I don’t think they would work together in the same units. I haven’t got any other FIW figures to compare them with.

robson said...

Lovely minis, great painting!