Saturday, January 30, 2021

The Grey

I always forget one detail time after time... the matches in the matchlocks. These can be added later but it’s the one detail I always miss at first.


As my strong tone is beyond use I’m using soft tone dip again today. It’s a good test for the future, as the results on these grey clad musketeers will be useful for Confederate forces going forward. I think the lighter tone might be the way to go on these lighter shades.
WARNING: Army Painter and wives do not get along! Once painted with dip the men are quickly rushed outside and put into the shed. They should be nice and safe in here for at least 48 hrs.

The fumes from the Army painter tin and then the paint stripper for cleaning the brushes are a down side to using this stuff. However, the results are good and worth the hassle. One sleeve of musketeers done.

Before the dip I did give the leather snap sacks a wash in watered down snakebite leather from citadel Colour. It gives a very realistic effect and looks identical to mine from my time doing Re enactment.

Another little trick I before the dip for the high detailed equipment and gun is to give it a wash with Nuln oil from GW. This just helps to deepen the contrast on certain areas and looks good on the metal work.

 

2 comments:

Codsticker said...

Good advice for getting the most out of the dip method.

Neil said...

I went a whole year before I noticed that I had not painted the match sticks on one of my regiments.
Neil

http://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/