Saturday, January 18, 2020

The moment of DIP Truth

 Looking back through the years on Iron Mitten I had forgotten myself  the amount of times I had actually used the Dip. Warbands of Celts and Romans, even a few French Napoleonics. The best case of results was bashing out tonnes of Celtic cavalry with Soft Tone over the horse flesh, so why did I just forget this tried and tested method for quick units.
Well, the answer is, I think I just got a bit scared. I remember painting up a whole green regiment of Foote ready for the Dip and then using the water based Army Painter strong tone instead. I think it had just been released and I wanted to try it. Since then I have used it all the time and even made my own washes from Woodland scenics paints. However the only thing that is different is that these water based washes didn’t  protect like the Dip, not even when glossed and matted down with varnish.

I had rediscovered the joy of the Dip after reading through the blog ‘I live with cats’ and seeing his Border Reivers armies. It has reminded me of the many benefits of using the stuff, namely the pleasure of  Painting figures with simple details using base colours. Also just now, the actual painting on with the Dip was very rewarding. I think if you have large numbers of troops to produce it is definitely worth considering.


I think it’s a case of having armies to game with is better than having plastic tubs of lead...or something like that. It’s this approach that has lead me back to the Dip after a good ten years away from it.
 I have been nibbling away at this ECW project for many years with only two regiments finished, so I’m hoping if these turn okay, I could use this method to speed things along. Now I need to wait 24 hours to find out.
I brushed on the Dip, wicking away any pooling with a wiped brush. If you feel some colours or armour are getting too brown, you can use the brush to wipe the Dip away, lessening the effect.

1 comment:

Phil Curran said...

I hope that you succeed in your endeavour !!!