Friday, July 23, 2010

Fashion tips in 28mm

One little trick that I tried out was a quick way of getting the really small checked pattern you see in all the books. I normally paint crossing lines on the clothes but by dotting down the trousers and tunics the impression of tiny checks can be achieved. I stumbled across this while colouring up my illustrations but It works just as well on the figures themselves. They may look a little rough under the Macro lens, but to the naked eye they really work. Tip of the day.

2 comments:

Consul said...

What colours do you use to paint the main body of the horses?

I can't quite get horses and the AP right.

Secundus said...

Hi Consol, for the British native ponies I use GW graveyard earth and Foundrys Palamino horse colour. For the latter I use the mid tone. I try to add different hues by mixing the two together which provides a bit of variety. Most mid tones should work. However try using Army Painter soft tone for your horses, I found it gave a better result. It works well on Palaminos and white horses.