Thursday, February 27, 2020

Civil War Weather

Weather like this it’s time to crack out the Civil War hat. As I role play my way through life, this hat could either be a Confederate slouch hat or a lowly musketeer from 1643. Everyone else just sees a wet muggle stomping to work but in my head there’s either some military marching tune going on or a drum beat.

It seems what ever I’m painting and researching at that time starts to influence the rest of my life in some way. I have to walk two miles to and from my station every day and some nights I’ve set off car alarms with the horn blasts of five hundred heavily armoured Dwarves from the Iron hills and made grown men weep with my humming of Cromwells’ ’rejoice in the North’ soundtrack (quietly of course).

 I see a walk in bad weather as a little bit of a soldier’s experience and try to put myself in their shoes...or hats.
 War gaming is an infectious weird way of life that creates a strong historical passion in all of us that feeds our imagination.
 However to most people that see the strange humming man walking home in the dark, with a very well timed stride and smiling to himself, it’s just another weirdo to be avoided. If only they could see the standards, hear the bagpipes and taste the rainbow. There’s a lot more to Wargaming than pushing lead around a kitchen table, it’s a way of life. PEACE!

10 comments:

Bluewillow said...

Love it! I thought I was the only guy who whistles military tunes while walking, Bonnie blue flag is a big favourite! As most French do not whistle I do get some strange looks.....while out in about in Mayenne, particularly along the river as it echoes off the cliffs and hills nicely, although not a fan of rain of course!

Cheers
Matt

szeperd said...

Peace!

Phil Curran said...

May your marching always be enjoyable.

Ragsta said...

I have to check the corners and sweep the upper floors each day to work, glad I'm nit alone ;)

Guidowg said...

Whistling..............who doesn't whistle the tune from "Cross of Iron" when they're trudging along alone.

Grenzer John said...

Hi-ho! Hi-ho! It's off to work we go! With a shovel and a pick and a candlestick, Hi-ho, Hi-ho-hi-ho! Hi-ho!

Chris Kemp said...

This is good enough for my "Men in Hats" page, unless you object :-)

Regards, Chris

https://notquitemechanised.wordpress.com/men-in-hats/

Mr Ballista said...

Someone at work asked what I was whistling to myself the other day. I pretended I didn't know and it was just something that was stuck in my head, but really I knew it was Jerry Fielding's version of Old 1812 used as the theme for The Outlaw Josey Wales. My colleague is a mundane soul and just wouldn't have understood.

Secundus said...

Oh yes Outlaw Josey Wales is the gift that keeps giving. I did have a link to that opening theme on this Blog, but I checked it recently and the link was broken. Great tune that has lasted me for weeks on end that one. I tend to flip back to that every time I start painting ACW.

Chris, If you want to post it that's fine with me, I don't think anyone has asked to borrow my writing before, it's normally my artwork.

Anonymous said...

Great post and I know what you mean about the way this hobby drips into other parts of life. For some reason when ever I'm walking through woodland,in my minds eye I'm trudging beneath the dark tangled boughs of Darkwood Forest in Allansia !!!