Thursday, June 25, 2020

English Civil War Gun Position WIP

 When I first saw the large 120mm x 80mm base size for Artillery in ‘Victory without Quarter’, I was a little surprised. However, these base sizes are obviously for large guns that are in positions and can not move during the game. This size of base does allow a nice bit of room to model some defences and make a diorama out of the base.
For the light guns (Falcons and Falconets), I have used a 100mm x 60mm base. These fit the smaller artillery pieces much better and because these guns will be moving, I’ve keep them mostly free of emplacements. Maybe just the odd log thrown down in hast.
 This huge ancient gun is lovingly called ‘Old Knob‘, he predates the war but is still in active service. The gun is from Essex miniatures. I imagine he will become quite a character in battles to come.

 The planking is made from cut up lolly sticks, cut to the right width for the gun with enough room to allow gunners to be based around the edge.

 I used the Vallejo mud product to build up the earthwork at the front of the emplacement. Bloody handy stuff this mud, recommend getting some if you can.


 Small twigs from the garden make for great logs, I will leave these unpainted for they are good as they are.







3 comments:

Codsticker said...

Wonderful! I have a spare bit of MDF laying around and a recently painted cannon so your post perfectly timed inspiration.

Springinsfeld said...

Er.. look forward to seeing Old Knob in action. Great emplacement.

Phil said...

Impressive gun and work on the base, I do like this kind of stand...new sub!