Monday, April 05, 2010

Matt varnished and ready for shields


The matt varnish is the most important stage of the dipping process. I was a little disappointed that many of the helmets lost their cool shine but these can be easily touched up again. Also I've found that there is sometimes a strange cracking and rippling texture on the dip once matt varnished. This doesn't bother me too much as it looks like fabric. The more you practice the better you get and I always try out new things as I go, after all dipping is a lot more fun I find.

7 comments:

Coyotebd said...

Cracking on the top layer of paint is caused by covering paint that hasn't fully cured.

Paulalba said...

These guys look the business.

What tone of Armypainter are you using on them?
cheers
Paul

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Great cloaks. They really make this unit stand out.

Secundus said...

Oh right thanks Coyote, I did wonder about that.

These guys were dipping with strong tone Paulalba, I find it works best with darker colours.

Consul said...

Yeah, Coyote is right. That happened to some of the Spanish I rather excitedly varnished too early.

My first attempts at ECW using the Army Painter are now up at my other blog.

http://blackpowdergaming.blogspot.com/

You should be able to use the Strong Tone with your ECW men and achieve great results!

Consul.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

These look superb :)

BigRedBat said...

They look great. I need to try this dip. So is Strong Tone the one to buy? Or do I need a couple of different ones?