Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Roundhead Horse

Better late than never, finally got around to basing this regiment of horse.


Sunday, November 27, 2022

Fomorian Warbands

After months of waiting these slimy bone suckers finally get their bases. Each base is worth six wounds in Dragon Rampant. However, due to their large size I could only squeeze five to a base. I guess five Fomorians equal six wounds. The bases with the larger Fomorians will have three to a base, as they were meant to be giants this all seems good to me.

Two units of mid-sized warriors make up bulk of the raiding party. 

A Fomorian chieftain leads his party forward. They carry no standard as they have just crawled up from the sea. His helmet was made by twisting the green stuff around to form a spiral shell shape 
I plan to cover the rocks on the base in seaweed and barnacles like before.
Any sort of fish or toad looking creature does not look out of place in a Fomorian force. It's quite fun keeping an eye out for new recruits.

Heavy support for the raiders.



 Beware terrain makers on eBay promising one thing but delivering another. Always make sure what you see is what you are buying.

The good thing about creators like Two Sheds Fred, is he makes the pieces then puts them up for sale. I'm afraid taking orders then rushing to fulfill them, will only lead to rushed and shoddy jobs. That leads to unhappy customers.

Luckily for me, I ordered from pine bark off Two Sheds Fred so I can tweak these bases, certainly for the best.

After a bit of messing around with flocks etc, the results are much better.
I made small caves by adding more bark across the top of the other stacks. These could be Goblin lairs or Celtic mounds.

A brown wash was applied around the lower edges where the stone meets the ground. After this a green wash was added.

This pine bark is amazing stuff for making rocks, once dry brushed it looks the business.

Friday, November 25, 2022

The Lump Sucker

Right, the Sea creature is done! I coated the large fish with a gloss varnish to give it an extra wet look. The main creature still had a sheen to it from the Matt varnish, so I left that as is. I gave his eyes and mouth a coat with the gloss just to make them sparkle.

After I had painted the base, I flocked tiny patches of foam in places, just to add some extra detail. This looked like the seaweed that had dried in the sun. Tiny patches of bright yellow foam were added to give that rockpool look.

The pool was painted with little blotches to replicate pebbles. This too was given a couple of coats of gloss to give it a water effect.

The odd patch of weed was given a gloss wash just to give it a wet look.

This base was a lot of fun, but did take longer than normal to do. Maybe for the Fomorian army I might simplify the process somewhat.