Thursday, July 16, 2026

Orc variants

I thought this was interesting, I bought an orc war leader and compared it to one from an old war chariot. It's obviously a Nick Lund sculpt and has been tweaked to stand alone as a figure on foot.

It's just interesting to me the extra sculpting that has been done. I've had the chariot figure from the early 90's. 

The new guy looks bigger with his eagle claw shoulder pads and his extended helmet horns. He is also sporting a new shield and sword on his back. In fact his entire back has been resculpted to incorporate the new items. Old school charm, Nick's sculpting style isn't everyone's taste but I have grown to love it.


 

UPDATE: Right so I've done a bit more digging and we have some answers...
The Orc generals war chariot was released in 1986 with original figure. Seven years later, the newer, tweaked figure was released.

So seven years difference, it was obviously had too much character to just leave on the chariot.



The base clearly shows a later 1993 mark. 


5 comments:

Simon said...

I have the War Chief figure. I really like the Nick Lund Orcs.

Secundus said...

Which one, the old chariot one or the based one?

Simon said...

The larger based one. I have quite a lot of Nick Lund sculpts.

daveb said...

Interesting find there. I wonder how long between the modification being done. Like....could it have been one of the original casts converted early to add to the range? Or did it happen much much later? Curious.

Secundus said...

Turns out it was a seven years gap in-between the two different releases.