Sunday, July 26, 2020

War of the Roses

 I’m playing around with the best base size to game War of the Roses. After lots of rule research, I have settled on the very flexible three to a base. It seems to lend itself to many different rules sets. Bloody Barons, Lion Rampant and Kings of War Historical being the favourites at the moment.
 40mm looks the best with the packed ranks, but I thought I would just push it to 50mm for some more wriggle room. Also 50mm would also stack up nicely into Kings of War regiments... early days yet... early days.






4 comments:

Norm said...

Yes, tough one and you want to get it right from the outset. I have just been given some figures, which are based 4 to a base on a 50 x 50,
But I have literally just come away from the table trying alternatives and I looked at 7 missile on a 80mm wide by 50 deep and 8 billmen on an 80 wide by 60 deep. I just can’t decide and may end up carrying on with 50 x 50 with 4 figs.

I am testing with sword & Spear by Great escape Games.

Codsticker said...

Although I like the 40mm base, I think that may just be an affinity thing. The 50mm base looks good too and it looks like it suits your preferred rule sets so I think that's the winner.

caveadsum1471 said...

Just to chuck another opinion (if you wanted it!) I use 45mm x 45mm it gives you a little more than 40 x40 but not as much as 50 x50,it also helps it's the nearest I can get to my 4 x1p sabot bases!
Best Iain

Secundus said...

It sure is a can of worms isn’t it when you start a new era. I have been considering doing impetus style bases for a nice diorama kind of look. Bloody Barons can still work with that with a dice to record damage.