Saturday, August 14, 2021

Saturday Paint Club


I’ve just spent the last couple of hours having a sneaky paint session on these beauties. I found them on eBay while searching through stuff for the English Civil War. 
The three pieces are resin and cost about £12. It’s not until they arrived that I realised they are good to use with basically every era l game, even the fantasy side of things.
The set is made by Debris of War, see details in picture at end of post.
It was another chance to use the Contrast paints after giving them a couple of layers of dry brushing. I mainly used the Wyldwood for the dark oak barrels, but mixed in other colours to give slight variations of hue, so the barrels didn’t all look the same.
Just finished they provide cover for some quick thinking Union infantry.
Here you can see the before and after on some of the barrels. The metal hoops were painted with the Black Templar colour, very quick to do, as the dry brushing had supplied all the shading.
Some tell tell stripes on the sacks say to me that this set may have been intended for Anglo-Zulu battles. 
What I was looking for was a simple barricade that could be put across a street of an ECW village and these barrels and boxes fitted what I imaged. I might add a few tree trucks when I come to flock the base. They also make for a great powder store for an army and could be used as an objective marker too. Those poor Royalists can not afford to lose any powder that much is certain.
The men of Lake Town use what they have at hand to make a barricade against the approaching Warg riders.
A Roundhead patrols the powder store with his wheel lock pistol, no match locks here!
Esgaroth braces for the on coming storm.
There’s a very bad smell of fish around here!


I really should of washed them in warm soapy water first but I was too keen to get painting. The pieces were sprayed black and then dry brushed with a light brown. Contrast paints did the heavy lifting after that.

Fresh out of the cardboard box and straight onto the painting table. I love these little projects that just take a few hours and involve a big brush for speed.

 

1 comment:

NoahLockyer said...

You actually make it seem really easy along with your presentation however I find this topic to be actually one thing that I feel I would never understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very extensive for me. I'm taking a look forward to your next publish, I will attempt to get the dangle of it!mexican war service records