Saturday, October 07, 2023

Paint Stripping continued


Right, phase two. No more messing around! A big pair of mad scientist gloves arrived from eBay, along with some nail varnish remover. This stuff is very good and got straight to work. The thick brown goo slid off with hardly any effort. It became a nice clean job again rather than up to my elbows to toxic waste.


I did find one or two figures that had been pitted by the Dettol. These might have been at the heart of the gunk. They also could of been among some of the first figures I put in there, many years ago. They are still very useful, it's nothing like the dreaded lead rot of a few years ago.
Shiny pennies from heaven. The good thing about the varnish remover is it cleans the toothbrushes too. The solution evaporates so you don't have to dry them with a rag. If when dry they still have areas of paint, just throw them back in the pot for a spell. 



You can see from the photo above, a few of the figures appeared to be slightly corroded. A slight pitting into the metal. This isn't too bad and can be hidden with paint but interesting to note.
 As I say, some of these figures must have been in the Dettol for at least five years. So maybe the solution can effect them over a period of time after all. I won't be leaving them in there for so long next time.
A rewarding morning's work. I think some of the last batch done with the brush cleaner, could go back in this new solution to a swim. Just to get them extra sparkly.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info! A bit colitis for me, but nice to know about if I need it.
~ Tom T

Phil Curran said...

So next time will the process still be dunked in Dettol followed by nail varnish remover or is it straight nail varnish remover?

Secundus said...

Straight to the nail varnish remover I think. It worked very quickly and is more rewarding to do it on the same day. Some good propper gloves was a good call and eye protection is advised. I did mine outside as it did have a nasty Oder. However, it was very good at cleaning the enamel off the old mini's. I think I paid about £8 for a litre bottle off eBay.

pancerni said...

Most nail polish remover has acetone as a base. It is nasty stuff. Your safety suggestions should be considered the minimum.
BTW, nice clean up project.

Secundus said...

Yeah I didn't wear a mask over my mouth, this seemed okay as I was outside.

Phil Curran said...

Can you reuse the solution multiple times?