Monday, May 06, 2013

Basing up Union Troops for Fire and Fury Regimental


Well I have returned from a work trip to America full of inspiration and  energy. While I was out there I took note of the ground colours and vegetation. Knowing that when I got back, I would have a mountain of ACW troops to base up.


I have been looking at Regimental Fire and Fury for a long time and have decided that this is the rule set for me. My figures were already mounted on bases of three so I thought that would make my life easier.
However, after discovering to my delight that Warbases have up dated their web site and now you can order any size base you like, I had to order some of the right size bases for the game and start the long process of re basing my old collection.


 The old cavalry bases from GW worked well but I always liked the staggered troop lines I saw in the rule book and the little dioramas just proved too much for me. The rules are written for 15mm but the scaled up 28mm base size is 40mm by 30mm. I thought about this for a while and decided to give myself an extra 5mm on the width, knowing that I have a lot of giant Redoubt and Renegade miniatures to base up later. The main thing is the new depth of the bases, now I can have character in them I always wanted by including fallen wounded etc. There is also more room to stagger the troop line as mentioned before and rifles and bayonets don't get damaged when the troops form column formations..



5 comments:

jmilesr said...

Nice looking fig's

I'm a big fan of Regimental fire and fury - it plays well and the learning curve isn't as steep as it might appear

airbornegrove26 said...

I have not played Regt. F&F, but love the original brigade level. We base ours a bit diffrent as well going with 1 1/4"x 1" for our 15mm. Got the idea from Clarence Harrison as not to lose bayonets in melee's.

http://quindiastudios.blogspot.com/search?q=spanish

Looking forward to the progress, and enjoying the three blog entries in a day, perfect after supper reading lol.

airbornegrove26 said...

sorry wrong link.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_47Gs124Chi0/S1T3TwS6fMI/AAAAAAAAAE0/H4A7rAgD6_s/s1600/spanishinfantry02.jpg

Secundus said...

Lovely bases. I have seen this sort of basing before at big war games events and considered it. With ACW there are lots of figures firing with bayonets and on thin bases these become a problem.

I'm loving having the slightly deeper bases as It gives me more room to play with. Thanks for the link

VolleyFireWargames said...

So that's why the months of silence - gee you should have said you were in America we would have traveled to game with the Great Cartoonist the Iron Mitton, - Glad to see your back and posting again.
Cheers VFW

PS got an email from a guy from Down under who was trying to reach you. I will let him know your back