Friday, June 10, 2022

Giving 3D prints a blast.

After seeing these Elven figures on eBay for quite a reasonable amount, I thought I would chance my arm.
I'm not quite sure if they are 3D printed or a resin cast, but oh my they are brittle. On opening the pack, I found the riders leg had snapped off. This was easily fixed with super glue. However, while very careful moving the figures, a sword arm got snagged and pinged off into ablivion. I tried to find it but with no luck.

I resorted to finding another sword from a plastic figure and tried to stick it on. Well, it's been over three hours now and the glue still is not dry. Plastic and resin are not friends it appears.



I have a feeling these figures were produced to go with the GW lOTR range and so may look a bit small amongst true heroic 28mm. I hoping a plastic base will lift them up enough so they don't look so bad.

This guy didn't read the Elf and safety booklet about postal travel.

I bought these figures as a test really to check the scale and to see what they were like. I don't think they are Wargames worthy, as they are far to brittle to stand the push and shove of battle. I may have to make sure these figures are in the middle of my bases so others can take the knocks.
I re-enforced the swords and wrists with super glue to try to add some strength. 
Even so, the fear of catching it while playing will still be a constant worry.

Now he is on a base he looks more in scale with the others. Also a shield will help him blend in.


They are nice sculpts and once undercoated they certainly look good. I'm sure they will look lovely when painted up.

 
UPDATE: well, he painted up very well and should look good behind a shieldwall or maybe leading a charge.
He is such a heroic figure I suppose I could use as Gildor, the next commander planned for the army.


1 comment:

Tiberian general said...

Very nice looking figures, just base them on wider bases so the fragile parts are not hanging over the edge.
Keep on posting fantastic and inspirational blog.

Willz.