Thursday, December 01, 2022

Rockpool Bases

I tried out some good old Milliput to create some seashore landscape. My thinking is I'm going to need quite a bit of putty, so why not try out some cheaper options. Greenstuff is better to sculpt with but it's not cheap.

The best thing about Milliput is the smell takes me back to my teenage days...


I bought this beastie to go with the Fomorian raiding force. To my delight it matches the size of the other fish like troll. This guy is a bit more crocodilian than fish, but fits in just as well.



I find Milliput a little more difficult to work with now after being spoilt by Greenstuff. It's very tacky and can make quite a mess with your hands.
Pushing on with it, I used large blobs to make various coral structures and mounds of seaweed.



I imagine this brute to snag quite a bit of seaweed on his spikes as he crawls from the depths.

This little tool came in handy for making sponges and corals.
Coral tubes are something a bit different and easy to do 
Anything that will catch ink and look weird will do, it's fun trying to come up with different techniques.

 

4 comments:

Neil Patterson said...

You can mix Green Stuff with Miliput; mix up each as normal separately, then mix and roll together until you get a uniform colour. You can use more Miliput (normally about twice as much) so that the GS goes further.
The combined putty has elements of both; not as "chewing gum" as GS and firmer and less prone to becoming like watery clay and sticky like Miliput.
Allows sharper detail than pure Miliput and can be sanded, unlike pure GS.
I was put onto this by a sculptor friend of mine (Warrior, Outpost and QRF 15mm).
Neil

Secundus said...

Thanks Neil, I didn't know that. I will have to experiment. Thanks again.

~ Tom T said...

Wow! Very Nice, yet again. Just occurred to me to suggest checking out jewelers' ball & cup burrs as a source for interesting texture tools for the paint & ink to accentuate.
Thanks for the Inspiration
~ TT

Aly Morrison said...

Ah!… Miliput … that certainly takes me back😁

If you put some talcum powder on your hands when you are mixing the putty it will stop it being so sticky…
You can actually use a fair amount and it doesn’t really effect how it works.

All the best. Aly