Wednesday, September 02, 2020

Green Stuff Night

 I have had this Ogre chieftain from Reaper for a couple of years now, as I thought he would make a good leader for my Gundabad trolls. To my surprise he was a good size and really looks the part with his huge mace. So, as I have a bit of free time tonight I thought I would quickly try to bash out some green stuff creations. The Elves too have been needing cloaks for a while so I put them on the to do list. Again, quite quick jobs once you have cut out the shape from a piece of rolled out green stuff.

 I brought down one of my Gundabad trolls for comparison and a good job I did, for my first attempt was too small and had to be added to. Although the Hobbit movies were quite poor, they do have a lot of good designs in them and I was always taken with these troll helmets.

 The surgeon’s table is ready, let the conversion begin.
 Elf cloaks, I have tried to make these a bit flowy to show movement. After all they are nimble Elves in their soft dancing shoes twirling and gliding around the battlefield.
 This is the last thing you see from your trench.
 I gave the chieftain and couple of axe cut across his helmet, at first I thought I had ruined him but they are kind of growing on me. Once painted I shall try to make them more obvious. He leads from the front and it shows.

The good thing about modelling orc and troll armour is, it doesn’t have to be perfect. If it’s a bit wonky... that’s fine, orc smiths are pretty shoddy at best. This thing has been crudely hammered out of old bits of iron and bolted together, not a straight line in site.
 The Dark Alliance troll for scale, a nice fit with the slightly bigger Reaper bones model.

4 comments:

Mr Ballista said...

Lovely stuff. Your long-ago post about adding cloaks to your Celts inspired me to do the same with some of my dark age figures; after the first couple it's surprisingly easy to do.

Are you sure Oathmark is the right fit for your armies? It looks like a fun game, although its implied figure count seems pretty unambitious - your giant armies surely need epic mass battle rules to do them justice!

Secundus said...

Well I’m not sure... I suppose the rules can scale up pretty easily. So far they look the best fit with different races having different stats. We will have and wait and see, their might be something else out by the time I’m in a position to game.

Codsticker said...

Nice work on the helmet- it's a perfect match.

Secundus said...

Thank you