Monday, May 22, 2023

Black Uruks!

Tin 'o' orcs!

A tin of grizzly large orcs finally get their bases. These are Black Uruks and are the elite of Mordor. Their skin is dark and they are larger and better armoured than the majority of their kin.


I'm quite fond of this base as I found a good place for my favourite conversion. The orc with the wine skin looks like a sly advisor to the brutish leader. I was also pleased with the torch, I've never painted fire before and was pleased with the result.





These orcs were painted quickly with base colours, then washed with Army Painter dark tone from the tin. I wanted these Black Uruks to be very dark and the dip seemed like a perfect solution. I also used flattened brush bristles to create crude orc swords, designed for hacking.



The idea for this unit was inspired by the release of the larger Oathmark orcs. I used helmets from Fire Forge plastic knight sets, to give the unit a unique look. The kettle helms will help set them apart from other goblin formations.

To this motley lot was added other large goblins that caught my eye. I even bought some resin sculpts from eBay. These are quite fragile, so I have tucked them away in the middle of the bases. The metal and plastic figures should take the brunt of any knocks.



Smaller orcs armed with bows follow in the rear, adding their darts to the assault. 





A warg mounted officer orders an assualt.The orcs at the front carry large hammers and axes for breaking down defences.
"Did you find the beater of drums?" Yes I did, it was a shaman of sorts. This base could add some magic option to the battle...
Some nice Bob Olly sculpts from Real Partha. These make for great Black Uruks with their fancy armour.


A Mordor shield made using my Superglue technique... crude, but definitely orcish.

 The resin sculpts from Medbury miniatures had some very nice helms. Almost War of the Roses looking. I thought they would fit in nicely with the kettle helms of the converted guys.







Stolen Dwarf shields, taken from the dead or looted from forgotten armouries.



I'll keep them in here for now so my cats don't tread all over them. Now I have to finish the bases...



 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incredibly impressive.
~ T

Phil Curran said...

Orcs, faasands of 'em!

Another wonderful display.

Suber said...

This is pure love. Amazing display of force! The minis are obviously cool, but I think the paintjob suits them perefctly, it's what makes them stand out!

Secundus said...

Thanks Suber, very kind of you.

Rob said...

Great work - you must have more orcs than Mordor by now!