Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Work Trip Back in Time

ive just spent the last couple of days on a MD's creative summit in the Cotswolds. It's a beautiful part of the country and full of historical places. One of which, Ellenborough Park, was the place that I stayed.

Well the Wargamer in me was never very far away as I started to ask questions and take pictures. I knew the place must have been there in the Civil war and I wasn't disappointed.

The main door was peppered with musket balls, some smaller, which I imagine must have been pistol shot.



Beautiful original panelling and stone work. The house was actually built during the reign of Richard III.

I found this scale model of the place and thought it might come in handy for creating a Wargames layout. I plan to play a ECW campaign in the future and this place is great for inspiration.

This is the main hall which is the oldest part of the building, from here the other parts were added as the years went on. The original dwelling was built by a local farmer in 1485 who loved the views from the spot.
An ancient looking cider press.

Putting my wargaming hat on again, I took a stroll out to the boundary walls. I imagine there have been a ditch below them to make them taller. It reminds me of the 80's TV series ' By the sword devided'. It has very much the same vibe as the Royalist stronghold in the drama, complete with a church.


Lovely old looking rooves and bell towers.


A close up of the main door showing a carved 'M' to ward off evil and witchcraft. An amazing place!
 

2 comments:

caveadsum1471 said...

Lovely looking manor house and yes I was thinking of By the sword divided just before you said it!
Best Iain

Codsticker said...

Love the pictures of the buildings and grounds; great inspiration for building terrain.