Friday, May 26, 2023

16th Light Dragoons

so here are those Wargames Atlantic plastic horses painted up. I chose to paint most of them a bay brown.


My Dark tone dip wasn't as strong as I'd would of liked it, so I might have to put some ink washes on the figures later. 

I actually prefer the plastic horses to the ones they come with...

I did a little royal cypher using the fine point pen, I also used a blue one to add some quick saddle cloth details. I was trying to bash these out as quick as possible, but the level of uniform detail made it very hard to. I finally got there with seven painted and dipped.



The plastic horses certainly do the job and their new cropped tails really help the look.
UPDATE:
The last of the Dragoons are painted and dipped and put in the sun to dry. I find the Dark tone drys a lot quicker than the brown Strong tone. These nice warm days are perfect too.
 



UPDATE:

I went back to the sketchpad and took the time to learn the royal cypher. In the end it wasn't too complicated. After I had made a sketch of the cypher I went through the regiment and updated the squiggle I had done before.

The little elaborate swirls do catch the eye, so I think they work. I will give the crown a few marks of red with another fine marker pen to complete the livery.
It's almost time to ride out and bring back order in the colonies.
The fine point pens make this sort of detail very easy to do.
The next morning sees these guys matt varnished and based up on 60mm squares. 



I'm looking forward to giving these guys the American style bases with the fallen logs and leaves.










I always thought the crests on the Tarleton helmets were horsehair, turns out they are bear skin. After looking at some internet reference, I gave them a lick of brown to help with this fact. It also makes them look a little sun damaged too.

2 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

Very nice Secundus… the horses do work well…

All the best. Aly

Anonymous said...

Amazing lounge once they dry. How on earth are you so prolific? I’m continually amazed at both the quality & sheer quantity of your work. Thanks for the Inspiration.
~ Tom T