Monday, August 14, 2023

I love it when a plane comes together...

I took a gamble on a cheap set of toy planes the other day. I was trying to find models that matched my Deception Seekers. Well I couldn't of got closer I think if I had tried, they were an excellent match. There are also some ships that can be cut up for terrain later which is an added bonus. The planes work out about £2 each which isn't bad at all considering they are in scale.

I was really pleased at the scale. It's so hard to judge on eBay when they don't give measurements.

I added some Spiers and blocks to the flying bases to add some detail. Also, the tall Spiers will help camouflage the flying support when painted. It was good to use up some hexagon bases that I've had kicking around too 

The underneath of the toys are very simple so I won't waste time painting them too carefully.




I used hot glue to weld a piece of plastic tube onto the base the toy plane. This made them bullet proof and very solid. The toy planes weigh next to nothing.

Now comes the job of painting the planes up in the various colour schemes of the robots.
These stealth fighters could be used for the Cybertronian fighters at a pinch.

An excellent find and for a bargain price too. I wonder if the cars I ordered will be as successful?

I suppose you could just use one or two planes to indicate a unit has transformed. I'll have to see how I get on and how easy it is the paint them up. As mentioned, it's only the tops of the crafts that need some detail.


UPDATE: Arming for war! Now all the planes have taken to the air, it's time to arm them up. I used some machine guns off old Gaslands sprues. The most effective missiles though were created by cutting up plasticard tubing and shaping it.
 




Most of these fighters are loaded up with missiles and other deadly projectiles. 
For the stealth fighters, I tried to make it look as if panels had opened up to allow the weapons to come out. 


You won't really see the underside but it's nice to add some weapon greeblies. I covered over the worst of the holes with panelling too.


1 comment:

Jonathan Freitag said...

And I love a good pun.