Monday, February 05, 2024

Custer's Command 20mm

I decided to change Custer's base to include the regimental colours as well as his own. I had originally thought of sticking them all on a big round 60mm base, so it looked like a actual command base. However, I think this would have destroyed the iconic cavalry column look, so I kept the 40mm width and added 20mm to the length. This way Custer can still lead his men in person and have a bit more colour while doing it. 

I think it works better with the extra flag giving it a bit more presence. I did a lot of research to see if Custer actually took the regimental colours with him, but after watching the 1991 mini series 'Son of the rising star', I decided to add one. It was the first time the regiment had been all together for a long time and it makes sense they would have broken of the colours.


Custer swings his battalion left along the bluffs.

"Alexa play Gary Owen, volume 8."
I suppose the best thing about this new base is that it lets Custer ride out Infront.
Scenes from Son of the morning star showing the regimental colours.


When you see the whole column fluttering away in the wind I think it was a good choice to add it.

 What is done for the mounted troopers though has to be carried through into the discounted version too.

Custer's base is already crammed with desperate individuals, so Cooke got the honour of getting the colours.  Again, I prefer this to the casualty figure that was there before.



Both the new troopers are actually from the ACW range of Newline Design 20mm. In many ways they fit the 1876 troopers better than the actual Little Bighorn range do.
 

1 comment:

Tony Emery said...

Excellent stuff you can't go wrong with Newline!