Sunday, December 06, 2020

Custer update

Custer is painted and based up. In ‘Men who would be kings’ a cavalry unit is made of eight troopers. I’ve based my companies with three on the command base, two bases of two and a single guy on a single base. This should allow me to remove casualties easily.
I had to do a bit of research into the size of Custer’s personal guidon. In the end I opted for one slight larger than the normal guidon. 
The guidon carrier is a casualty figure with a head swop. I was impressed the way the gorilla superglue stuck the head to the body, this will definitely be useful going forward. It will lead to a whole host of options and variety in units.
I cut up some spare horses from the horse holder set, I think it just helps to add a little drama and atmosphere to the bases, especially Custer’s. These horses have been shot to use as cover from the swirling hostiles.
28mm meets 20mm.
The companies so far, I think the basing looks okay, they are definitely spaced out in a skirmish formation. The first three companies here could be Reno’s with which he attacked the south end of the Indian village.

Major Reno is created from a converted horse holder, there are a splattering of other ACW figures in there for variety. It’s nice to have a couple of kepis in the mix.


 

2 comments:

Simon said...

Looks great! I used the 3,2,1, basing for my 10mm Pikemans Lament units. It works really well.

Neil said...

Really looking good. For Rebels and Patriots I use the 3, 2, 1 basing for units that can't form close order and they look great.
Neil