Saturday, December 12, 2020

Frost grave Demons as Warrior Orcs

Well when I saw the new box set from Frost grave I obviously thought of one thing... orcs! They match the heavy armoured Moranon orcs from Peter Jackson’s films very well.  So they could serve as the elite warrior class for the Mordor forces. As there is not really meant to be plate armour in Tolkien’s works, I might try to paint them as black leather and see how that looks. 

The new sculpts are quite large and make for good elite looking warriors no matter what colour you paint their armour.
The Demon shields make for very good orc shields too with lots of sharp points and rivets.

Some of the Demon sculpts come with classic Demon goat legs, so I had a go at swopping these with ones from Warlordgames orcs. Quite tricky but it does mean you don’t loose figures from the sprue. They also alter the height of the orcs which is good for variety.
I added some simple fur cloaks to try and change things up a little and make them look a bit more orcy.
There are some Demon helmets on the sprues and these make for evil looking orc helms too. Quite well made for orcs so these guys must be favoured among the masses.


The Warlordgames orc heads are very characterful and lend themselves well to these Demon bodies.
This arrived this morning and I wasted no time in chopping up the sprue to create some more orcs types. 

 The Uruks come in at a nice size for large warrior class brutes, the backbone for any orc assault.

5 comments:

caveadsum1471 said...

They work really well as orks with your conversions!
Best Iain

Phil Curran said...

I love these, but I also plan to do some chaos warriors from them. I've just got to find the right heads.

Grenzer John said...

Very nicely done!

Codsticker said...

That is inspired kit bashing! Quite frankly, by adding orc heads you have improved the kit to no end.

szeperd said...

Great conversions and idea! Please do, do, do paint them so I can cheer my eyes as soon as possible.