Sunday, January 31, 2021

Geal’s muskets

While the first unit of shotte is happily drying away in the shed, I thought it was time to get started on the second lot of muskets. 

While the glue was drying on their card strips I started looking around for things to finish off. I found a few already under coated guys that could be worked on straight away.

Again I’ve been having fun with the Contrast colour paints. Black Templar is very good for blacking up the armour. It gives a nice tone with the metal underneath. Must bare that in mind when it comes to painting up the heavily armoured lobsters.
This mounted officer studying his map of the area would make a good commander in chief I think. However, now I have decided that, I will have to dig out some other figures for his base to make him look more important. Maybe some casually chatting buffoons of high rank. One pointing might be nice.
Harry Geal commander of the grey coated regiment. Their nickname in the army is the preachers, because of their black coats when mustered and their black standards. Grey coats have replaced most of the black ones now, but not all.
For the map I just kept everything a light brown with patches of stain here and there, these to me look like woods. I chose against doing brown roads and blue rivers etc as I thought this might not look of the period. Although the artist in me was yearning to do so.

 The big man himself, the commander of the whole army! Although he doesn’t cut a very confident figure, head in a map looking confused. Well maybe he’s the cautious type...or just lost and out of his depth.

4 comments:

Codsticker said...

He's thoughtful, pensive- not rash and glory seeking like some....

Neil said...

Secundus,
Who makes the officer with the map. I'm trying to resist shiny, new, toy syndrome but I have a strong feeling I have to get that chap!

Neil

http://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/

Secundus said...

He’s from Redoubt Miniatures. I think he is listed under the command title.

Neil said...

Thanks!