Thursday, March 18, 2021

A little side project...

The best thing about using plastics is their massive versatility. I spliced this Warlord games Marlborough box with some Vitrix Waterloo troops to get some different poses. The marching figures are good but a few different poses always helps. 
The Grenadier company readies itself for action. The classic big cuffs were added using some Milliput. Crude but it works at a distance.
This is a little side project I’ve blasted through. I’ve longed to paint up some Boyne regiments and I finally decided to bite the bullet.
These are plastic figures from Warlord Games, they were originally made by Wargames Factory. I had wondered about them for some time, knowing that Wargames Factory figures can be a bit odd looking, but I had said that about their orcs, which now I love. Anyway, I bought a box off eBay and I was pleasantly surprised. I was pleased to see that even though they are sold as troops of Marlborough, they also have flat hats too on the sprue, so earlier soldiers can be created. This is great news as I want to do the 1690 era.
I had been told by a fellow painter that this period was great to paint, because the uniforms are so simple with no tricky details to worry about. He was right! I had great fun blasting through this lot. I kept all the shading to just two colours then gave them a brush over with Soft tone Dip from Army Painter.
I splashed quite a lot of mud over these guys knowing they’d be fighting in Ireland. Crossing bogs and rivers would take its toll on nice white leggings I’m sure.
Although the body poses are all the same in the box set,  they still look good when painted up with the different heads. The features on the faces are quite subtle, so I gave them some grey stubble on their chins to add a little interest.
I was so eager to get dipping, I forgot my usual trick of giving certain areas a wash of black. I suppose I can always go back after the dip is dry.
Painted and then dipped. The Soft tone is subtle but hopefully it will add a little something. The white scarf comes out nicely with the Soft tone.
Nice and simple figure for painting. To make my life easier, I’m going to copy the regiment sizes for Beneath the Lilly Banners of around 18 figures. This should mean I can produce a small force a lot quicker than my large ECW units.
 It’s such a great colourful period to paint with loads of different coloured regiments and beautiful standards.

3 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Great to see you moving over to my favourite wargaming period!!

Secundus said...

Ha ha I have seen your stuff for ages and always been impressed. There is a lot to learn but the guides from C. Harrison do help a lot. In fact they make it easier than going for Marlborough.

Ray Rousell said...

There's more and more info coming out all the time. Carry on the great work.