Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Trelawney’s Regiment ( Williamite)





Well I finally finished these guys, they did take longer than expected, mainly due to waiting for flags etc. I’ve been angling to paint a regiment of this period ever since I saw the Warfare Miniatures website.
I didn’t want to keep this guy too long as I knew he had to get back to his day job of chasing Peter Pan.

The ease of the uniforms and the beautiful standards are a real pull for this period. When the standards arrived I thought they looked rather large, but on checking with Barry Hilton it turns out it’s the size he uses for his units, 40mm square. Well, I tried it and he was right, it looks great. I suppose if you’re only going to have two standards per unit... you might as well  make them bigger so they look good on the table top.


I have to admit I don’t really know a lot about this period in history, I may have made loads of mistakes in the unit. I struggled a little to find good officer reference but in the end found a good painting of the Battle of the Boyne, luckily it had an officer in the foreground.

Warfare miniatures sell the standards in sets of three, which is useful for a beginner, as it gives you a guide as what units to paint. I have the Royal Scots to paint up next with nice big blue standards.


The pikemen base was made from mixing metal Northstar figures with Warlord Games plastics armed with pikes. They kind of work quite well and waters down the expensive metal sculpts.
This is a good way of creating units, using plastics for the bulk of the regiments, but add metal character figures for the extra detail.

Alexa... play Lillibulero...volume seven!
 

6 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Crackin looking unit Sir!

Bluewillow said...

loving those, very nice and dandy I must say!

cheers
Matt

Codsticker said...

Love the unshaven officer- very nice work!

quindia said...

I just saw this... feel free to get in touch if you have questions on the period! Nice flags!

quindia said...

Don't sweat the uniforms of the officers - they were a law unto themselves during this period. Some wore the same uniforms as their troops (albeit of better fabric), while others dressed as they damn well pleased!

Secundus said...

Thanks Quindia, I was using your uniform guides and they were very useful. So many thanks for those, I always knew I would need them some day.