Saturday, September 04, 2021

ECW Highlander Reference

Eureka Highlanders are small for 28mm but should be okay if  not mixed with other ranges ( except from Perry’s which match up well)
Just a few reference pictures for a couple of Highlander units. 

I recently bought some Highlanders from Eureka miniatures after seeing units of them in the Marlowe and Maidenhythe campaign pack for ‘ For king and Parliament’. I hadn’t really thought of fielding Scottish units before, but they look fun to play so I ordered a few.

 Eureka miniatures are on the small side of 28mm to be sure, but as long as I don’t mix them with Bicorne they should be fine.

The cavalry above are from Eureka too, again small sculpts but the horses make up for it and they match most other ranges well.


Yellow shirts seem to crop up a lot in 17th Century pictures of Highlanders. This is a good colour for the brown stain of Army Painter which is a bonus. My plan is to do simple plaid designs in subtle brown/red colours, again perfect for a brown wash.






 These are the figures I ordered, I have seen on the internet that Perry’s figures mix well with them. Some extra loading poses and a command pack will be a must I think.

5 comments:

caveadsum1471 said...

Sounds good, mine are a mix of warlord and some unknown make,but the Tartan is putting me off so they and the rest of Montrose's army are still in the cupboard!
Best Iain

szeperd said...

Thanks for sharing, will use it as inspiration. I've been waiting for local version of ECW rules&minis for some time and the only right choice are Scocts... and English... as a matter of fact I want both sides...

Secundus said...

I think that’s the story world over, the tartan puts 70% of people off painting them. I’m weirdly looking forward to it though, must be mad. I plan to do mine quite subtly in different browns.

Secundus said...

They scream character like no other troop type on the table. Probably because they are all different poses and very animated. The are a nice contrast to the rank and file of other units. They are fierce fighters in melee with poor shooting which again is something new to game with. Will they reach the enemy to cause havoc or will they be stopped half way by firepower…that is the question.

fireymonkeyboy said...

Been thinking about a unit of these . . .