Sunday, November 20, 2022

North Sea Nasty

I had an idea to try a different kind of pattern on the ancient armour, this time using straight lines. A sort of primitive knotwork. The results are okay but there's room to improve on this for sure.

A giant, wet sea monster crawls out of the North sea to help the Fomorian raiders.
I had fun painting this, as I had no plan and it just kind of evolved. It's nice to paint something completely different for a change.
I wanted this thing to be an ambush predator so camouflage was important. It had to blend in to the corals and seaweed of the seafloor.

Adding predatory fish stripes seemed to give it a nasty edge and these would help it blend into the kelp forests of the North sea.


 

I suppose I could call this 'thing' a Deep One. I know for a fact that this individual is responsible for dragging down two boats last winter in the low tides. Let's hope some enchanted bronze of the Tautha De Danann can stop his murderous thirst. It's not wise to walk alone on the cold shores of the Atlantic, not all the seaweed covered boulders are rocks, some are very much alive...and hungry.
This beastie will be given by of a coat of floor varnish to give it a wet sheen when finished. It might be fun to play this giant terror with random element to its actions. A bit like the elephants in ancient battles when they go rouge.

 

4 comments:

Rob said...

The marine colour scheme of your sea 'monster' is great - I rather like the friend being carried underarm as well. But don't go 'rouge' even if your elephants do as it won't suit him/her(?).

Secundus said...

Okay, I hear ya. It was just a thought. He is a brute!

Aly Morrison said...

A very striking looking ‘fellow’…
I wouldn’t like to get on the wrong side of him… although I suspect he is all wrong side.

All the best. Aly

Kev Moon said...

Great work. Good to see you back on these!