Tuesday, January 16, 2024

German Uhlans

I had an idea to create some Weird World War German cavalry using the Grognards cavalry.
The kit is basically unchanged except the masked helmet from the German box set. I also added some packs and pouches from Maxmini.
When these are dry I will add on some breathing masks for the horses.
I love the silhouette the steampunk backpack gives the trooper. It does seem odd that cavalry troopers would be wearing packs but this is the future and every trooper needs his enviro apparatus. The steampunk pack even has a pressure tank at its base. This will look good painted a bronze colour.



I also created a medic using some Star grave bits. A scavenger torso with a German gasmask and he is good to go. It's nice the the scavenger bodies have the look of a trench coats so fit straight in.


The Star grave figures are a little on the short side, but a bit of spare base brings him up to size.

Uhlans charge British heavy infantry.
I only bought one sprue from eBay to test my idea and I'm pleased with the results. At some point I'll have to buy a whole box.

 UPDATE: The horse now have weird crude gas masks that give them the look of giant rats.


The medic gets his shoulder pauldrons and an extra pouch.






I think these are ready for some paint now.

4 comments:

Grenzer John said...

I like what you're doing with these figures.
Makes me want to get into the weird war stuff...
No, it doesn't! Yes, it does! So conflicted and still enjoying your work!

wackmole9 said...

Hi

NIcely done and very Death Korp like!

Bill D

James said...

Those are FANTASTIC!

Neil said...

Those are very nice conversions.