Friday, January 05, 2024

Forged Terrain robots

Forged Terrain produce some great models for this weird war project. I found these great Tommy looking robots on eBay. I chose to have them printed at 32mm so they were a little more intimidating. On close inspection they are very nice sculpts and prints. What I thought was flash turned out to be head tubes, so the detail is nice and crisp.
They make for an impressive squad with their big Vickers machine guns. I might give some of them barrel magazines instead of the bullet belts, just so they can last a bit longer.

I'm looking forward to trying out the sponge chipping technique on these guys.

I'm not sure who's my money is on...It'll be a close call either way. Tombots would be a good slang name for these chaps. The mark IV Tombot.

 UPDATE:
I painted up two test models so I could get to grips with them. I used a muddy Olive colour from Reaper, then painted on pale stripes to act as basic camouflage.

I tried out various washes to weather them. A good trick was using the fine permanent pen to add scratches in the armour, this worked well. I also used a lead pencil to run along the edges of the armour to add a dull metal shine. Tamiya clear red was used for the eye lense again.
A heavy infantry Tombot meets an Elite German Trencher.
As these were the first two tests, I struggled a bit to find a good colour palette. I decided to colour the two tanks on the back and bronze colour. This just helps break up all the green and add a little Steampunk back into the mix.

Painting the rest should be easier now I have worked out the colours etc.
UPDATE: The other three bots are finished using the same process. I added an icon on the side of their helmets to mix it up slightly. They are a nice looking unit and have bags of character.

I kept the bullet belts in the end as they are fun to paint and add some different colours to the models.

I almost ruined some of my figures by adding a snow texture paint from Vallejo. The guy in the shop swore to me it was the same product as the GW one. Turns out it's not at all. The Vallejo is a much thicker paste and does not fade as it drys. After I had put some on basically all my figures I realised they are very different indeed. It took me a while to try and salvage what I had done...maybe they don't look as good as before. 
The Vallejo snow paste in the big tub is good for bases and the GW blizzard product is better for character detailing. So after a scary learning curve I found out the hard way, but it's good to find these things out. Some of my troops look a lot colder than they did before.

Using the fine pens to create chipped paint is a real success and looks good. Definitely one tip to remember with armoured troops.


Two finished Tombots with their snow added, Vallejo on the base and the GW stuff on the robots.


New recruits join the old sweats on the way to the front.
It's now very cold out there...
The German elites still pass muster, I just figure with their insulated suits they can take more cold.

2 comments:

Neil Patterson said...

Tomautons?
"Robot" dates to 1920.....
Neil

pancerni said...

Tomanots, yeah.