Monday, October 05, 2020

Oathmark Battle

Trying to do a battle report on Blogger is hard work when your pictures are shuffled into a random string of events. So instead, here are pictures of the night for your enjoyment, I will add some thoughts along with them to try and explain the  action.
Bloody handed Elves! These guys were expensive in game terms but they certainly proved why. Holding back from the battle line they unleashed withering Volleys of arrows that destroyed multiple units.
These large angry looking orcs were classed as line breakers, they were my best unit on the field and were a lot of fun to use. They even got to destroy a Dwarven unit after charging it in the flank.



The Elven and Dwarf host race towards the river crossing to stop the orcs from getting across. A unit of wolves will be the first to cross, but are destined to be cut down by Elven bows.
The battle on the river edge went back and forth, the orcs would be disordered, reform, then attack again. Try as they might, they couldn’t make head way against the Dwarf veterans.
Elven arrows rip into the exhausted orc line breakers and finish them. The few survivors run for their lives or drown in the river. 
Here is the last shot of the game, what remain of the Orc soldiers retreat back across the river.
A battered but still fighting unit charge home to deliver the killer blow to the exhausted Dwarves.

Above is a shot of the armies rushing for the shallow crook in the river. It’s clear flowing water soon to be stained black with orc blood.
The battle... well what can I say. It was great fun and both my friend and I both really enjoyed it. My orcs were low on points for a proper game but it was more a case of seeing the different units in play. It was a shame my two Snow trolls didn’t get into melee, I would of liked to have seen how they did with their three dice, one being a champion dice. We both agreed that the troll stat should be increased to Damage 11 or even 12 for Middle Earth. 

My basing system came into its own too, each base was counted as a rank with five wounds. This worked very well with a dice being used to tot up casualties. It has left me wanting more which is a great thing. Now I’m thinking... what about some Elven spearman?  A last minute, impromptu game that led to a very enjoyable two hours play.

Flank attacks is what really makes the difference in this game for sure. I have always looked for a game that reflects Middle Earth armies and this game certainly hits the mark. The Elves were deadly and didn’t even get their feet wet in the river as they destroyed unit after unit. The orcs are good on the attack but struggle in prolonged assault and the Dwarves are well armoured and tough. Right, better start under coating those Elf spearmen...
 

8 comments:

caveadsum1471 said...

Really nice, makes me want to go into the loft and start rummaging through ancient dwarf miniatures!
Best Iain

Phil Curran said...

Simon over on the Fantorical blog got so sick of Blogger he jumped ship and went to Wix.

James said...

Great to see these armies in a battle!

Secundus said...

It was good to see them out. At the time I laughed because seeing my figures out and in play was a win, win for me. The result of the game wasn’t even a thought, just seeing my stuff in play was a victory. The game only to on k a couple of hours so there could be a few more in the future quite easily.

szeperd said...

Such a nice report to see and read. Looks like lot of fun.

joe5mc said...

Making the game look good! Thanks, Simon!

Blue in VT said...

Excellent report...I am also quite fond of the Oathmark rules myself. Glad to see them getting some love.

Ufa88kh said...

I think this is one of the most important information for me.
And I enjoy reading your article.
wordpress
ufa88kh.blogspot
youtube
Premier League